Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) is seeking an enthusiastic, confident and compassionate attorney to represent older adults and adults with disabilities who have been victims of financial abuse and exploitation. For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to seniors and disabled San Franciscans. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, financial secure and housed. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing (tenants only), Reasonable Accommodation Requests, Income Support, Health Law, Elder Abuse Prevention and Debt Collection Defense. Additional areas of practice include end of life planning and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
- Provide legal advice and full scope representation in court for cases including:
- Filing and pursuing petitions for elder abuse restraining orders and related litigation
- Revocation and replacement of powers of attorney
- Filing of complaints and/or representing clients in any permissible court action to stop and redress financial exploitation, undue influence, identity theft, fraud and other financial abuse
- Filing of actions and/or representing clients in other civil legal matters arising directly out of the victimization to ensure the economic security of the client, including: unlawful transfer of property titles, reverse mortgage foreclosures, debt collection and consumer issues
- Conduct intake interviews with new clients, including home and hospital visits, when necessary
- Attend meetings with San Francisco Adult Protective Services relating to financial abuse cases, as well as other community meetings to address financial elder abuse.
- Provide trainings to services providers in order to improve their clients’ access to legal services.
- Collaborate with other LAE practice groups to insure that clients’ legal issues are addressed holistically
- Discuss cases at weekly Case Review meeting
- Member State Bar of California
- 3+ years’ experience in civil litigation
- An ability to independently manage a caseload and litigation
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Patient & flexible
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Russian, Cantonese, Mandarin, or Tagalog
- Knowledge of financial elder abuse law
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Trial experience
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or individuals experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal service, or other non-profit
Salary based on experience according to our union scale.
After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
Health, vision and dental benefits.
15 days paid vacation in first year.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: Social Worker Application
APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE NOTIFIED BY PHONE.
We are strongly committed to diversity and encourage applications from anyone who can contribute to making Legal Assistance to the Elderly a more diverse community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. Legal Assistance to the Elderly believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity, and the agency is committed to not discriminating on any basis prohibited by applicable law.