Legal Assistance to the Elderly (LAE) seeks an enthusiastic and compassionate advocate to join our team. For almost 40 years, LAE has provided free legal advice and representation to seniors and disabled San Franciscans. Our mission is to keep this vulnerable community safe, financial secure and housed. Our primary practice areas are Eviction Defense/Housing (tenants only), Reasonable Accommodation Requests, Income Support, Health Law, Elder Abuse Prevention, Health Law and Debt Collection Defense. Additional areas of practice include Wills, Powers of Attorney and Conservatorship Defense. LAE is a friendly and collaborative work environment.
General Purpose: To manage and conduct LAE’s Intake and to provide litigation and programmatic support to Staff Attorneys, primarily for the Housing and Health Teams.
- Screens potential clients
- Conducts intake interviews with new clients
- Records client demographic information for new clients in LAE database
- Report cases at weekly Case Review meeting
- Maintain accurate computerized client files and other documentation
- Work with San Francisco Adult Protective Services and Community-based social workers to address clients’ needs
- Conduct outreach
- As needed, visit clients in their homes, in skilled nursing facilities and in hospitals
- Follow-up on intake interview, collecting needed documents and information
- Draft correspondence and other documents
- Legal Research
- Conduct factual investigations
- Provide litigation support
- File legal documents
- Bilingual Cantonese and English
- Strong, written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Organized and an ability to manage projects independently
- Good with math and book keeping.
- Patient and flexible
- Knowledge of Russian, Mandarin, Tagalog or Spanish
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal service, or other non-profit
Salary based on experience according to our union scale.
After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
Health, vision and dental benefits.
15 days paid vacation in first year.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attention Hiring Committee
Subject line: Legal Advocate